Saturday, June 6, 2009

s.t.r.a.w.b.e.r.r.y. j.a.m.


I found strawberries last saturday.... BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!! We love to make strawberry crepes so I thought I would take Harris Teeter up on their offer. I got the strawberries and as Caden and I planned out our dinners for the week on Sunday we left out anything that included my 2 plastic containers of strawberries! I just figured I would use them as a side or something later on. As the week went on I totally forgot I had them. By Wednesday night they were looking a little dark and less appetizing. I looked at my schedule and realized I didnt have work Friday so I needed a project or else the day would seem never ending. SO.... I decided to use the strawberries up and attempt to make strawberry jam. I have never made jam or paid much attention to my mom and grandma when they would make it together. I found a recipe I had copied down of my grandmas and went to work! Aubree and I decided it would be fun to do it together because she had also had taken up the BUY ONE GET ONE FREE Harris Teeter special. We bought darling glass jars, fruit pectin, and to my surprise A LOT of sugar. I didnt realize how sugary jam is but..... thats what makes it SO GOOD! We had so much fun making it together and I am even more excited to eat it. Peggy gave me a very helpful hint.... to use RED food coloring. I was amazed at how much more colorful and bright it made it look.. thanks for the tip Peg! Anyways.. I was pretty excited and so was Caden :)! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that looks so good. What cute little jars. How many did you get?

    ReplyDelete